Learn more about how we celebrate life.Learn More
Give to Hospice
Thank you for supporting end-of-life care.Donate Now
Learn about upcoming educational opportunities, support groups, events, and fundraisers.Calendar
There is no better way to offer hope and comfort than using your hands and your heart as a hospice volunteer. Every year, more than 400 volunteers from Hospice of Wake County contribute hundreds of hours in administrative and outreach support. Hospice of Wake County provides many different options to help you share your talents. Ways you can make a difference include:
- Family Support Volunteers – provide respite, emotional and household assistance to patients and their families.
- Massage Therapy – provided by licensed massage therapists.
- Pet Therapy - for volunteers recognized by a pet partners program.
- Music and the expressive arts.
- Reflections Program for Children Volunteers – assist with set up and greeting of support group attendees, help with hospitality and assist professional facilitators as needed.
- Ambassadors – provide talks and educational events to corporations, civic groups, faith communities, and health care providers on end-of-life care issues.
- Administrative Support Volunteers – assist with special projects and provide clerical support in a professional medical environment.
- Assistance with fundraisers and special events.
- Other Creative Ways – Individuals may offer a special talent or service such as supportive phone calls, yard work, care packages, homemade meals, or baked goods.
- Veteran Recognition - Volunteer veterans acknowledge the military service and sacrifices made by the Veteran and his/her family.
- Vigil Volunteer - Vigil volunteers are called when patients are actively dying and do not have family or friends to sit with them, or have family members who need respite. The shifts are generally for four hours, and can last through the night.
How to Become a Volunteer
Interviews and training for volunteer positions are offered frequently. If you need information not found on this website, email our Volunteer Services Department or call 919.828.0890. Or, if you're ready to apply to become a volunteer, complete the application and return it to the Volunteer Services Department byemailing or by mailing to 250 Hospice Circle, Raleigh, NC 27607.
See the Calendar of Events for Hospice of Wake County and Hospice of Harnett County.